A suspected anthrax outbreak in the Binduri District of the Upper East Region has claimed one life and infected 11 others after they consumed meat from a dead cow that had the disease.
The Ghana Health Service’s Upper East Regional Health Directorate confirmed the incident in a press statement, saying that four cows had died of anthrax in a community in Binduri (name withheld).
The Regional Director of Health Services, Dr. Emmanuel Dzotse, said that his team was tracing 11 people who were suspected to have eaten the meat from the dead cows that had anthrax.
“On June 1, 2023, we received a report of two (2) possible cases of anthrax with one death in Binduri District following the ingestion of meat from dead cattle. In total, four cattle have perished in the affected community. So far we have identified eleven (11) possible cases and we are tracking down contacts in the affected community,” Dr. Dzotse said.
Dr. Dzotse cautioned all districts, especially those bordering Binduri, to be vigilant and enhance surveillance activities to prevent the disease from spreading further.
He said that his team would collect samples from all possible cases for testing and treat them with Ciprofloxacin and Doxycycline.
He also emphasized that his team would increase risk communication about the disease and how to prevent it, but urged residents to avoid eating meat from dead cattle without knowing the cause of death.
Dr. Dzotse also advised cattle owners in all districts to seek veterinary services for comprehensive control of the disease.