Lionel Messi has apologized to Paris Saint-Germain and his teammates for taking an unauthorised two-day trip to Saudi Arabia earlier this week. The World Cup winner was suspended by PSG for two weeks, during which time he is banned from playing or training with the team and will have his pay docked.
In a video clip posted on his Instagram story, Messi said that he thought the squad would have a day off after the game like they did in previous weeks. He also explained that he had already cancelled the trip once before and could not cancel it again. “I repeat: I want to say sorry for what I did. I’m waiting to hear what the club want to do with me,” Messi added.
Messi’s suspension has raised questions about his future at PSG. There have been widespread reports this week that Messi will not be offered a new contract this summer when his current deal ends. On Friday, PSG head coach Christophe Galtier said that the player will talk about his immediate future with the club when he returns from suspension. “We’ll see when Leo returns what will happen,” Galtier told a press conference on Friday. “Obviously, there will be discussions with the entire club but also with Leo, who is the primary person involved”.
Reports have linked Messi to Inter Miami in MLS, a return to Barcelona or a lucrative move to Saudi Arabia with Al Hilal. It has been a turbulent week for the French league leaders, with some fans gathering outside Neymar’s home to call for him to leave the club too.